Friday, May 27, 2011

Chrome Is King

I have to say that after 2 days of playing around with it, it's a much different browser than Internet Explorer is. For instance, if I have an image I want to put into this blog, once I click the "save picture as", it creates a download file that is at the bottom of my screen. When I clicked on the image in the post editor, it opens a screen that will upload the image directly into the blog without taking the image to my picture folder. I think that if I wished to upload to a hosting service like Photobucket, I'd have to move the file to my Picture folder and then upload to the hosting service.

It has proved to be a much faster browser for me. I don't have the page load problems I was having with IE8. I've had as many as 5 pages open at a time without any problem downloading another one. On IE8, if I had a page open, opening another one took forever. If I was in Twitter and wanted to see the article someone provided a link for, it would take a long time to open the link. With Chrome, it opens right away without any problems. Last night I had 3 data rich pages open and had no problem with any of them.

The Chrome Home page shows me the sites I visit most as web slices, so all I need to do to come to Blogger, my email, Twitter, ICanHazCheeseburgers or any other place I visit regularly is to click on the slice and I'm there. My two local news channels that I read regularly are add ons in the browser bar.

I have not yet found a feature that allows me to erase my browsing history from Chrome and I think that's because of the web slice page. It has to know your history in order to show you where you last were during that browsing session. You can manually delete it but it doesn't seem to be an automatic feature.

I love, love, love being able to see videos without pauses. Any video I've tried for 2 days has played for me all the way through without stopping. I'm going to try the streaming newscast from the local channel closest to me. I've never been able to watch one, I might be able to now. All in all, I'm quite satisfied with Chrome, and after a few more days of trying it out, I just might make it my default browser and forget that IE ever existed. We'll see.

11 comments:

  1. Sherry.....put mouse on slice page..you will get a pop up bar to delete that slice....

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you wish to remove all slice pages click on new tab + on the most visited line to the right of "restore all removed thumbnails" there is a X to remove all the slices...you cant see the X you have to mouse over it

    ReplyDelete
  3. to remove all browsing history..click on the wrench top right...then option..then under the hood page

    ReplyDelete
  4. now lastly...if you do delete all the most visited when you click on a new tab you will see some tag lines at the bottom of the page...one of them will say Most Visited...If you click on it a window will open with all your most visited site lines..at the bottom of this window it will say
    most visited again...click on it and it will restore your slice tag lines..then click on most visited tag line just above the slices and it will covert the slice name into a slice page.....let me know if you need help

    ReplyDelete
  5. you can always call me if you need to at 336 497 8164 if you get lost.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. TAB,

    I know all that. But I still have to go there to do all that. IE did it automatically when I closed the browser. With Chrome you have to do it yourself. I'm spoiled. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting this review. Chrome will be on my list of potential browsers if Firefox gets bad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review. Still using Firefox but am now willing to give Chrome a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Skinny,

    I don't know if my review would make a difference to someone who is satisfied with their browser. In my case, I've been assuming the problems that occurred were due to my satellite connection. I'm really shocked to find it was my browser.

    ReplyDelete
  10. cap,

    I needed to try logging into Blogger on another browser and only had IE installed on here. I didn't download Firefox because I tried it a few years back and had a major war going on between IE and FF. I was afraid to try FF again so I tried Chrome. It seems to have cured all the problems I was having that I was blaming on my satellite internet connection. It's slower than cable, so I thought it was why I couldn't play videos all the time and why I had problems trying to open more than one window at a time. Live and learn. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. since buying an Apple computer I've not missed IE at all - and after initially thinking I spent 'extra' money for something (apple computer) that was not worth it - have become more and more convinced with each passing day that you can't beat Apple. I'm working on Pup to switch right now for I know the way she uses it (computer) she will get even more use out of it than me and I (for sure) recommend anyone who uses the computer a lot to buy Apple. Especially when it comes to pictures, videos, games and the like.

    ReplyDelete