Monday, October 7, 2013

Finding Refuge In A Storm

The world has gone crazy. People lying, people fighting, terrorists taking hostages and that's just in Washington DC. It's the apocalypse, the rapture, the end times, the somebody needs to pull their heads out of their asses time. I've been driving myself crazy looking for a corner where I can sit quietly out of the fray and wait until someone comes to their senses.

I was sitting here minding my own business last night and I got a call from the oncall coordinator asking if I'd do a couple of cases today. I took a deep breath to say NO! and heard myself agreeing to it. The reason I was going to say no was one of pure childish spite. I'm not sure what's going on but it seems I'm being bypassed for new cases in favor of the younger aides. Younger aides, I might add, who can't seem to make it to work on a regular basis. While I, old and decrepit as I am, have had to take time off once and only for part of the day all year. Am I being discriminated against because of age? I don't know and probably can't prove it even if I believe it.

I probably agreed to work today because I was in a mellow mood. I never bothered to get dressed on Sunday and wonder of wonders got to watch my favorite movie of all time. "The Godfather" followed by part 2. I spent the entire afternoon and early evening curled up on the couch with a bowl of popcorn getting lost with some of my favorite characters. Never saw the news, never turned the computer on just spent my time watching fictional bad guys behave badly. There is something sort of satisfyingly final in how they deal with those who threaten their lives. Imagination is a wonderful thing isn't it?

Anyways, for whatever reason I agreed to work today, I met some really nice people. And a cute older gentleman canine. When I arrived at the clients, he was curled up in the chair with her. He's 14 and quite timid. Never barked at all which is odd since he's a Chihuahua. She told me he'd probably go hide under her bed since that's what he does when her other aide is there.

The care plan said for me to fix her lunch and feed the dog which I did. Did the dishes, cleaned the kitchen and bathroom, made her bed and at no point did he leave the room. Near the end of the shift I went and sat on the sofa to do the voucher and he got up next to me and just leaned in to my side. I put my arm around him and of course, he started "kissing" my chin.

The client gasped and said that he'd never done that with anyone before. I just commented that I believe dogs know when people are real. It probably helped that I was relaxed and happy today. I was wet from the rain that came up suddenly and a little bit cold, but those are physical discomforts, something that I don't find stressful. Once I left that client I could come home where it's comfy to warm up and dry out.

Life is too hard right now to waste any of it's precious moments driving myself crazy with the inflammatory rhetoric that is spewing from our nations capital. I'm disconnecting from the not so social media that  is rampant on the internet. I'm going to stock up on popcorn, Saranac Root Beer and let the world chase it's tail until someone comes to their senses.




6 comments:

  1. I don't blame you one bit! I hid out the other day with Seven Brides For Seven Brothers and a trash novel.
    You may be passed over for younger workers, but when it all shakes out, you'll probably be back on top. "Younger" workers don't always work out---if you can get 'em to work at all. I have a co-worker who doesn't seem to care if she works or not. She has that "Oh Well" attitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still providing coverage for other cases. So far, even though 1 of them is up for grabs with no one to do it, I'm not being offered it. Amazing. And documented. Let them explain that.

      Delete
  2. yeah I try to stay away from TV news, and the Capitol Hill craziness. What can we do about it? ...

    ReplyDelete